Have you ever imagined that you were a queen or a king? With this project, you can take your imagination to the next level.
You will also learn a cool method of taking something 2D (two-dimensional – flat, like paper) and using it to build something 3D (three-dimensional – takes up space, like your body)!
- Any type of paper
- Glue stick
- Scissors (optional)
- Drawing/coloring utensils (optional)
Cut your paper into squares that are about 3 inches by 3 inches. You’ll need about 9 or so, depending on the size of your head. (Don’t want to use scissors? See below for tips on tearing your paper squares!)
While your crown can still lay flat on the table, do any decorating you want to do:
- Draw gems, your name, or any designs you would like!
- Use scissors to add cut outs to the top / outside layer of each triangle
When you have finished decorating, unfold your triangles. On one end, spread a LOT of glue along the crease of the last square.
Fold your crown back in half. Round your crown, bringing the two ends together. Slide one pointed end into the gluey end and squeeze together to attach.
Wear your crown!
Don’t have scissors? Try tearing your paper squares instead!
- Tearing more than one piece of paper at a time can help in controlling your tear. Pick what colors you want to use for your crown, and stack two or three pieces together.
- With your paper stacked in front of you horizontally, envision (or measure & mark) your paper in thirds. Place your hand firmly on the edge of the paper where you would like to begin your tear.
- With your other hand, slowly lift your paper to tear it. Your planted hand will act as a guide for the tear – move it down the line, keeping it firmly pressed into the table.
- Repeat this again until you have your paper torn into thirds. Now tear those thirds in half.
- Now you can return to the above instructions at “Fold all your squares in half…”
- If you were king or queen of something, what would it be? An imaginary place, a real country, the whole world?
- What do you think makes a good king or queen?
- What would be fun about being a queen/king? What would be hard?